Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Rise of Larger Smartphones and the Side Effects

People with larger screens use apps more frequently across all the major categories, a report says.Article

The side effect of larger smartphones is in the result of more data usage, for example- usage of apps, Netflix and GPS has shown more usage in larger smartphones than smaller ones. According to the NDP group, In the US, screens that have 4.5 inches and larger use 44% more data than smaller phones. The bigger smartphones use an average of 7.2 GB a month in data and smaller phones has closer to 5 GB a month. Among the apps that are used the most is social media followed by navigation, video, retail and music. They are also becoming more common whereas newer models of tablets are becoming smaller. Some companies are also considering making smartphones larger but for now, it is still in the minority of phones sold. A suggestion for current large phone owners to not get billed on their GB limit per month is to wait and connect to Wi-fi instead of the cellphone net work data before doing any heavy streaming like watching Netflix or YouTube videos for an excessive amount of time.

If you are a smart phone user, do you prefer large or small smart phones?


5 comments:

  1. I personally prefer a smaller smart phone. The bigger smart phones are too big to put into your pocket and can be awkward when you are making a phone call. I like a phone that can easily fit into the palm of my hand. I have a laptop that I can watch movies on. I don't need a bigger screen on my phone to perform this function.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the smaller smart phones more. There are benefits to the larger smart phones, but I think they would become more of an inconvenience in certain scenarios. One large example that comes to mind is not being able to fit it in my pocket. I wouldn't want to have to carry my phone around all the time without being able to put it in my pocket. Also, I never really watch movies on my phone, so that wouldn't be much of an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally like smaller phones, too. However, a year ago I got the Samsung Galaxy S3, which at the time was one of the bigger phones. It took some time getting used to it, especially since it is so much bigger than the iPhone, but I love it now. Any bigger though and the phone could be more of an inconvenience with it not fitting in pockets, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what to classify what I like. I enjoy my iPhone 5 more so than the 4 but at times I liked the 4 better. Most of the time when I am at home of some sort, I use my iPad so I'm not sure how that applies. It's interesting to see that bigger phones use more data though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally like larger phones because its easier to text and I like having a larger screen. However, it can be a little obnoxious sometimes because its too big to fit in my pocket.

    ReplyDelete